Saturday, April 26, 2008

April 26

April 26, 2008
Well, I'm sitting in Cambpell River on the morning of the second day of my fishing adventure. Laura and Ollie are both characters in their own way - Laura is at this moment telling me some story - I don't really know what about, I lost track a while ago. Ollie is a cool guy, and I'm learning to take my cues from him - let Laura talk, and then do what needs to be done. Good times.

I'm slowly adjusting to boat life again - And if you have to be on a boat, this one is pretty comfy. Huge cabin, and comfy, super-wide bunks. I sleep on the floor of the cab with a sleeping mat, and it's pretty awesome to actually be able to roll over when sleeping on a boat. Not used to that.

I'm in the middle of reading The Shack right now. It's not bad. He's not the best writer I've ever read, but he makes some very complex theology approachable, and has some very neat ideas about who God is and why He needs the community of the Trinity, something I had never thought about before... which is awesome, because I'm finding it sometimes hard to find theological issues that I haven't wrestled with at least a little bit. When I find something, it keeps me humble. I never want to stop learning.

EDIT 6:13 PM: Finished the book tonight, and it blew me away. Still, not incredible prose, but he says what he needs to get the job done. Some of the ways he phrases his thoughts moved me almost to tears. I found nothing I disagreed with severely, although several of his ideas or definitly unorthodox. I didn't find all that much that was new ideas to me either. But what I found was a beautiful book which captured some of the complexities of God in a way that makes sense, and in a way that hits home big time. He takes a couple stabs at calvinism, which I appreciated, but also at the idea of complete and total free will apart from God. As Dylan says, you gotta serve somebody.

We're in Port McNeil now, where we're getting fuel and preparing for the next leg up the coast to the Bella Bella / Bella Coola area. No cell-phone reception up there, probably... which means being cut off entirely from the outside world. Hopefully that's a good thing.

PS: I can't respond or read comments on this blog, as I'm blogging from my Blackberry - If you want to talk about my thoughts, send me an email at jordan.w.shaw@gmail.com and I'll get back to you if I have cell reception.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments: